Re: mini disk recorders

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on September 13, 2003 at 12:29:20:

In Reply to: mini disk recorders posted by Karri on September 13, 2003 at 10:03:06:

Hi Karri,

I have had a lot of success using minidiscs, and they are a great tool! I can recommend highly the Sony Net MD. That is a great one, and there are several models, depending on what you want to spend and what features you need or want. My first minidisc was a JVC, and it was a really nice one too.
You will need a microphone. I use a high-level mic with an end adapter to the smaller plug, it's an SM57, and I use it because I have it lying around... any better mic from Radio Shack would probably work. I've done it with just basic $30 ones and been okay.
The minidisc is nice, because with the stereo output, if you ever DO want to use it with a laptop or something, you can run the accompaniment through the computer and play along with it, thereby recording both parts. As far as how it works, it takes what looks like a little CD in a small plastic case (like a mini-floppy.) They are rewritable, so you can use the same one over and over if you so choose. They hold about the same amount of data as a CD, and aren't too incredibly expensive.
For purchasing, Ebay does have a bunch of them, and usually I think they do have NetMDs. I have seen MDs sold at Media Play, although they might be pricier. Try an online search, sometimes smaller businesses sell them online and have good deals. (Circuit City online might work too, you can avoid the rude salespeople that way! Sometimes they don't like people that know more than they do (; )
Hope this helps! Feel free to email if you have more specific questions.
-lisa

Follow Ups: