Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Omigosh, Look what I've...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 09, 2003 at 15:30:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Omigosh, Look what I've... posted by Matt G on September 09, 2003 at 13:34:25:

The French Tuba is closer to a euphonium than either a horn or a tuba. In fact, I doubt they could be disinguished if well-played on that solo.

I can't recall what instrument plays the melody in the Funcek orchestration, but it was definitely not the tuba. I suspect that with the large number of orchestrations out there, just about every instrument capable of the tenor range has been used, from (French) tuba to cello. You are right, though--it is a tenor solo with a bass accompaniment, and I suspect the string basses provide that accompaniment in most orchestrations. In a brass ensemble, the tubas must fill that role, leaving the melody to other instruments.

Many transcriptions (I'm thinking specifically of Hindsley here) attempt to simulate the orchestral sounds with wind instruments. I suspect this is an attempt to keep the piece sounding familiar. I wonder if Howarth's intent was to create something that sounded like Ravel's orchestration, or to create a completely new orchestration in winds of the original Mussorgsky piano work? I haven't heard the Howarth version in so long that I can't bring it to mind. I suppose I need to dig it up.

Rick "enjoying several Hindsley works in the folder at present" Denney

Follow Ups: