Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Review of New Besson CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on September 04, 2003 at 23:54:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Review of New Besson CC posted by Matt G on September 04, 2003 at 23:29:48:

The sound of the Marzan is impressive--it's basically a York Master body and valves with Fred Marzan's fancy tuning slide. Personally, I think the reason for the funky intonation is that Fred got the taper of the large branch just after the tuning slide wrong. There might be a way to correct that, but I'm not sure that I want to take that project on.

The real bargain of the bunch was in the Holton-Miraphone hybrid. Basically a York 6/4 with a nice big 20" Miraphone bell on it. Projects better than an uncut York, I think and when the purchaser finally gets the cash to have it cut, it's going to make a spectacular 6/4 CC.

I've already got a 6/4 York CC, so all of this stuff was so much excess baggage. I really wanted the Marzan to work out for me, but I'm not much of a slide puller and it was just too much work. OTOH, I liked the idea of the B&M body so much that I'm building another Frankentuba--a York Master body and valves grafted onto a York bottom bow and Monster eefer bell. It should be a pretty spectacular 4/4 CC when I'm done. If it proves out, I'm keeping it.

The ugly little York/Conn hybrid CC is really a nice little horn with a fat sound. I'll be interested to see what the purchaser thinks of it after he tries it out for awhile.

OTOH, my renaissance tuba is due in Monday, so I'll let you all know what it's good for. Maybe just a wall-hanger, who knows?

Follow Ups: