Re: Conn 52-J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on September 04, 2003 at 23:47:49:

In Reply to: Conn 52-J posted by CROM on September 04, 2003 at 22:11:55:

I've had one for over a year and really couldn't be happier with it...almost. More on that later. The quality control doubts really hold true for this horn, so make sure you test a bunch. I would suggest Baltimore Brass, Dave Fedderly was great, but I've also heard Dillon's is a good place to go. My horn, which I picked from (I think) about 6 or 8 in the shop, has a great open, easy sound and good intonation as long as I'm moderately cognizant of my slide positions. I bought it because it was the horn that I played there that I was most excited to pick up again. Its just a fun horn to play. My one grievance has nothing to do with its playing characteristics. My horn happens to be satin silver, which is a complete b**** to clean. So if you can, keep in mind that regular silver or lacquer are easier to maintain, though I would never sacrifice my horn's playing characteristics for a cleaner look. Anyways, try it out, and if it speaks to you, consider getting it. But make sure you try a bunch, and certainly try out other models.

Follow Ups: