Incident in music store

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bruce h on September 04, 2003 at 18:20:39:

This isn't tuba related but you music store owners will relate to this. My youngest son is in the 5th grade and we are fortunate enough to live in a school district where the voters have chosen to support a generous music program. He wants to play the cello so it was off to the music store to pick out his first instrument, an exciting time for all. The store did not have any used instruments left so we got a brand new shiney one. The store manager showed it to us and we filled out the paper work. The manager put it back in the case but failed to zip it up. She picked the case up by the handle and the cello fell about 4 feet with a loud crash and cracking noises. The bridge shot across the floor like it was shot out of a cannon. I was totally shocked and uttered a mild profanity without even thinking. The manager was stunned and embarassed as the entire attention of the store was now focused on this incident. I looked at her and said, "Well, it's not new anymore". We left with another instrument and all ended well for us. The store manager, however, probably has a bunch of paper work to fill out as she returns the cello or sends it out to get repaired.

My son at least understands the importance of zipping up the case after he puts his fiddle away.

Follow Ups: