Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Proctor on September 03, 2003 at 21:09:07:

In Reply to: Re: Becoming a professional posted by real answers on September 03, 2003 at 19:21:06:

I'm sorry, but what are you basing this on? While it is true that it takes more than a degree in music to make it as a professional player, the acquisition of one is the best preparation I can think of. Do you relaize the playing invloved in a music degree? Its not just local yokel community playing, but real literature that is played in real ensembles. What I mean by "real" is the type of music that a pro tuba player spends his/her time playing. Not just some community band playing "Come to Jesus" in whole notes. I'm talking about a orchestra, a wind enseble, and chamber music. Of course, these ensembles exist outside of a college environment, but how often does a young person get play in them? When they do, its often not at a challenging level. I learned more from playing in college than I ever have in my life.
So how about a reputation? Those school ensembles spawned me more professional references than any other situation since. From my tuba teacher, my conductors and brass faculty, all the way through my collegues. I can't think of a better opportunity to get to know top notch musicians. I still get calls from my undergraduate teachers to play professionally. By "professionally" I mean playing for money. Not just hanging around a bunch of sour, pretentious wannabees discussing how they can Bydlo on their BBb.
So lets talk about the actual education a person gets out of a music degree. Provided that it is a good school, all those pesky classes one takes actually has something to do with being a musician. Although I didn't believe it at the time, those early morning theory classes paid off. Its importamt to know about what your playing as it is to play it. Plus, I learned as much by listening to my teachers and collegues play, as I did by practicing. Not just tuba players either. Your right about one thing, classes are a real strain on practice time. Most people deal with it by getting up early and staying late to practice.
The cold hard truth is that it comes down to abilty and experience. I do agree that being easy to work with is a factor, but being "nice" has little bearing in the professional world.
Many people try to make it without getting a degree. A rare few make it. Most just end up in a straight job, like working in a music store or something. Its hard to make it professionally until you can compete with the thousands of tuba majors who have taken the time to get an education (especially those coming out places like Indiana, Eastman, Michigan i.e.).
Those are real answers.
Go ahead and flame me.

Follow Ups: