Re: My Flea-Market Adventure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Answers on September 03, 2003 at 16:46:23:

In Reply to: My Flea-Market Adventure posted by Rick Denney on September 03, 2003 at 14:19:14:

1) A competent slide job will cost you $60-90. I think you'd still be in "got my money's worth" range if you had the slide looked at.

2)6 1/2 AL is fine for just screwing around with a pea shooter...especially for a tuba player. It will feel plenty small. Vincent Bach designed his small shank trombone mouthpieces to protrude 3/8 of an inch from the leadpipe (that's 3/8 in. of shank showing. If the mouthpiece is sticking out much farther than that, you can have a good repairman (if you're anywhere near Baltimore, Todd Clontz is a good trombone guy)ream the receiver slightly so that the mouthpiece fits correctly. Then, any small shank mouthpiece will fit right, rather than shaving shanks on every mouthpiece you try (and you'll try alot...you know you will!)

3) Check out Doug Elliott's comments on airstream direction in the "Accuracy Problems" thread below. Personally, I'd stick to 2/3 upper, 1/3 lower. That's what works for most trombone players (of course, as with anything, there are notable exceptions)

4) not that you asked...but take a lesson with a trombone teacher that has lots of experience with beginners. You'll be doing yourself a big favor down the road to not be changing lots of bad habits with your slide arm.

Follow Ups: