Re: My Flea-Market Adventure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 03, 2003 at 14:52:37:

In Reply to: My Flea-Market Adventure posted by Rick Denney on September 03, 2003 at 14:19:14:

So, Rick, you've bought a trombone. Welcome to Hell! The only pastime more perpetually frustrating is golf!

Knowing what kind of deal you got is difficult, because the difference in cost between the good and the bad is not that wide. The $59 is certainly good deal territory if you can get the slide in decent shape for another $40 -- which you probably can do. I recently bought a Bach Mercedes II, silver plate, very good shape except for the classic mouthpiece-dent in the bell (kids forget to take the MP out -- or get it stuck -- and force the case closed with the bell against it). Plays very nicely, slide is fantastic. My son is marching with it, and proud as a peacock with the only silver trombone in the band. My cost: $55 plus $12.50 shipping. If my deal was an 'A', and my main horn, a (very ugly) Benge symphonic tenor I got at a church rummage sale for $20, was an 'A++', yours qualifies as a good 'A-'. Very good for a beginner.

As far as the mouthpiece is concerned, a 6.5AL should work fine for the horn. That's what my son plays on his Conn .500 bore horn, and I'm pretty sure it's what I played back in Mrs. Ridlehuber's 4th grade band. If you want a smaller rim, you could try a 12C. But I'm really surprised the 6.5AL isn't fitting the horn well. I hate to see you spend as much getting a MP turned down as you paid for the horn; I hope someone will have another suggestion.

As for embouchure: as with Tuba, find what works. Keep the corners under control and don't get too tense in the middle of the embouchure. I've debated this with others, but IMHO you should keep your tongue a little higher on trombone, to keep it bright; again, figure out what works for you.

One final thing: ditch the cream. Clean your slide REALLY, REALLY well (yeah, again) and use nothing but Slide-O-Mix. Ever. You can thank me later.

Now, turn to page one in Arban's, ....

Joe Baker, who hasn't played much trombone lately.

Follow Ups: