Re: Armed Forces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on September 01, 2003 at 20:52:30:

In Reply to: Armed Forces posted by :) on September 01, 2003 at 19:08:58:

Having spent 11 great years as an Army Bandsman, I strongly urge you to answer the next two questions ABSOLUTELY HONESTLY before you pursue this course:

1. Are you fat or do you have the propensity for being even considered overweight?

2. Can you do ALOT of physical exercise and not have it bother you.

There are many reasons for asking these questions. You must be very physically fit to endure the military. So much of the life is predicated on how you look that if you even give the appearence of being out of shape or slightly overweight, things MAY go south for you fast. It has nothing to do with you as a player, it has everything to do with perceptions. I am a large guy, 6'2" and 207 lbs. I was always in good shape, but being a big person, I got tagged for weight every 6 months even though I was (AT) 12% body fat. I did as best I could at PT and tried to appear trim. It was a hard road maintaining the weight. At my size, at least until 1996 at my age, I was only allowed 200 lbs. maximum allowable weight. If you don't make, you are taped, even if you pass the tape(body fat test) you are still marked down on evaluation reports. I have no sour grapes with this issue, the Army had standards and I did the best I could to meet them.

Being in any Army band is a wonderful life. You get to do alot of different playing with alot of really fine players. Yes, there is baggage that goes along with it, but you can do the gig and play, too. Just be honest with yourself. People will be telling you what to do at every turn, if you can't handle that, rethink. I loved being in the Army Band System. I hope you have luck with your decision.

Chuck

Follow Ups: