Re: Tuba Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Whatever Works! on September 01, 2003 at 20:21:41:

In Reply to: Tuba Mouthpieces posted by Michael G. Ethridge on September 01, 2003 at 17:32:08:

When I started playing tuba in high school, years ago, I found that a Bach 24AW worked for me. And it continued to work for quite a few years afterward. About 20 years ago when I bought a Holton recording bass and found that the Holton 7 that came with it worked great. I bought an Olds upright later on and found that the 24AW didn't work worth a darn. So I started using the Holton 7.

In the least few years I have acquired a few more tubas and a few more mouthpieces. I find myself rotating the use of the mouthpieces on any particular tuba, that I may be playing at the moment, like the phases of the moon.

If you don't want to buy and keep a bunch of mouthpieces, why don't you take your tuba to a store that has a few mouthpieces and try them. Maybe you can take a couple out on approval. My only advice is keep trying. Your face, your mouth, your ability and the horn you are playing will keep changing and the mouthpiece you require to get results may change as well.

Good Luck!

Follow Ups: