Re: Re: Re: British Orchestras / Tuba Players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham - UK on October 02, 2002 at 08:46:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: British Orchestras / Tuba Players posted by Steve Marcus on September 25, 2002 at 12:36:05:

As a player in the UK myself reading this, I couldn't resist adding my opinions.
We have a very high standard over here with our leading players on a par with those
in the US(to answer Mr Guerro )Some of the top names have been named by my UK colleague
already but ,although I realise any list will be subjective,one or two have been missed
that should surely be on anybody's list.
My essential list would be ;
Patrick Harrild (LSO )
John Jenkins ( Philharmonia )
Owen Slade ( former LPO )
Chris McShane (BBC Scottish/former RPO )

To this you could add players like Ewan Easton(Halle)Andy Cresci (Bournemouth ) and two
very fine young tubists - Lee Tsarmaklis (LPO) and Sam Elliott (Scottish Opera)
This is an orchestral list - for soloists add Jim Gourlay,Oren Marshall and Steve Sykes.

For me, Chris McShane is the most underrated player in the UK.He played in London for
10 yrs with the RPO and some of their recordings are amazing - check out Berlioz Overtures
(Tring) - one of the finest ever King Lear/Cellini/Francs Juges etc - Symphonie Fantastique/Previn or Mackerras and the Ashkenazy/RPO Shostakovich Cycle - particularly
Nos 10 3 4 12 15.Indeed I was a member of the European Youth Orchestra when Ashkenazy
was conducting.We were doing Shostakovich 8 which he had just recorded with the RPO
and he said that Chris was the best tuba player he had heard !
Chris has been in Scotland for a few years now getting on with things quietly as is his
way - but they have just recorded the Nielsen Symphonies with Osmo Vanska.
I also know that he has done the Gregson,Jabba the Hutt,Cry of Anubis and VW with the
BBC SSO.
Lee Tsarmaklis(LPO/Chris' successor in the RPO) also is a great player. He,like Chris,
has a huge sound and plays CC a lot - well woth hearing as well.
Ewan Easton(Halle/former Ulster - N.I.)is also a top player and soloist and member of the
fantastic Halle Brass.
All these tubists have massive sounds(Pat Harrild and Owen Slade too)and their playing/
recordings really ought to be checked out by all UK students and even their US counterparts - after all we are all very aware of Pokorny,Deck,Schmitz,Bishop,Martin,
Pearson,Good,Pilafian etc etc .
Hope this proves to open a few eyes and be in some way useful.

Follow Ups: