Re: Monette Mouthpieces compared to...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Phil Golson on October 01, 2002 at 22:06:19:

In Reply to: Monette Mouthpieces compared to... posted by Justin on September 26, 2002 at 11:40:41:

I own the Monette 98 and also have access to the Schilke/Helleburg II heavywall by R and S (jet-tone) The reason I bought the heavywall is to do the same type of comparisons that it seems you are doing, e.g., does the cheaper mouthpiece perform the same way the Monettes do? Certain practical things must be considered, like bore size, cup depth, gold v. silver, and so forth.

I put a great deal of time in practicing on both, and my conclusion is, the heavy wall mouthpiece is a good one, taking a little time to get used to, and it must produce the sound you want to hear. After the Monette though, I wasn't as satisfied with tone centering, pitch, and response on the cheaper mouthpiece.

I had a quick moment of insanity to pay so much for a mouthpiece (monette), but I haven't regretted it since.

If you can get access to both, try them, in the presence of someone knowledgeable, and have THEM tell you the differences they hear. Play fast passages, slow, repeated 16ths, slurs, and other things that will give you an aural picture of their capabilities.

For what it's worth--
Phil

Follow Ups: