Re: Tuba Stands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Skov on September 30, 2002 at 17:59:45:

In Reply to: Tuba Stands posted by CDRom on September 30, 2002 at 09:07:32:

Before I got a DEG, I bought a black piece of cloth that could fit over my thighs and then rest the tuba in this 'cradle'. Seemed to be a quick fix. Actually, it sounds a little too kinky. But....., the weight of the horn would prevent it from slipping, for the most part. The only problem was the water key. I'll let you figure that out.
The DEG works really well, but it has a some durability issues for me. The screw for the height adjustment is wearing out. I am not sure if it is just time or my iron grip. Maybe both.
I got a K&M for my AF gigs, but with all the other guys, the height is not low enough like the DEG. That is especially hard when you play so many different venues (which happens quite often in the AF band). Some nights it works great and sometimes you play on what seems like a 1' stool the next night. The best I can do is set the leg adjustment all the way down to the bottom before the legs can't support the stand. Position the stand so one of the legs is under my chair and the other two are about where my feet go. It helps out alright giving you about 3-4" more to work with fitting the horn to your face (I am 5'9"). It is definetely more durable than the DEG. The height is always a concern, though.

Steve Skov

Follow Ups: