Re: Re: Re: Opera Parts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Hall on September 30, 2002 at 15:34:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Opera Parts posted by Jim Self on September 29, 2002 at 22:59:30:

I have used a Cimbasso at the MET for a few operas over the past year, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. As far as the MET's use of Bass Trombone in Verdi and Puccini operas, our two Bass Trombonists cover some repertoire, and the one tubist (and the Associate Tubist) covers other repertoire.

Apparently, Verdi wrote to the Vienna Opera, after hearing that they were using Tuba to play the Cimbasso part in one of his operas. In this letter he stated that the Tuba is not the sound he had in mind for his orchestration, and that if they did not have a Cimbasso, to please use a Bass Trombone, NOT a Tuba.

When I first got to the MET, I wanted to play as much of this repertoire as possible, but after a few years of trying to make the tuba timbre work in these orchestrations, I realized that it was just "the wrong sound". Strangely, SOME Verdi and Puccini operas are not "unbearable" to hear the tuba in, though, at some points in these operas, a cylindrical timbre might be better.

A few of my colleagues have said to me that they remember Puccini's "Tosca" with tuba, and had wondered why the MET now uses Bass Trombone for it. The answer came to me when we were playing a Gala concert, and there was a Tosca aria on the program, which I had to play on tuba. I played it, but it sounded SO wrong that I am glad to have the Bass Trombone playing that Opera. I have heard it played at the MET, with Steve Norrell playing that voice, and I am sure that Puccini would be pleased if he could hear it; I know I am!

There is so much to talk about regarding this subject, but I have to get ready to go to work to play an Italian opera that has a Tuba part, not a Cimbasso or Trombone Basso part (yes they DO exist!). I am sure that I will add more on this subject later.

Chris "talks too much" Hall

Follow Ups: