Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: shostakovich parts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on September 30, 2002 at 11:38:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: shostakovich parts posted by Steve Skov on September 30, 2002 at 07:06:25:

One of the things covered by the GATT treaty was the removal of a big chunk of Russian music from the Public Domain. Aparently, the Soviet Union did not observe or enforce international copyright law. This treaty brought them more or less into line with everyone else regarding the observance of these international standards, and got the lapsed protection for their guys back up to date.

So, not only did all of out Russian tuba parts go into the realm of "rental only" music, but so did all of our exerpt books that reproduce the actual full, copyrighted parts.

Regarding Dover Scores, this is how our orchestra librarian explained it to me. I think that, since Dover does not reproduce the ACTUAL score, but, rather, totally resets the type, then they can continue to sell them. Or, maybe they can only sell out their current stock and can print no more. Or, maybe they applied for and received permission from the copyright holders.

Who knows?

Wade "glad I bought all of those Torch books when they were a new thing" Rackley

Follow Ups: