Re: Tuba Stands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom McComb on September 30, 2002 at 10:41:54:

In Reply to: Tuba Stands posted by CDRom on September 30, 2002 at 09:07:32:

I use a DEG stand too. The height is adjustable, and the instrument is not attached to the stand. This means that if I want to rock the horn around when I play, lean forward, etc., or want to stand up with it, I can.

I put the stand on the floor just in front of the chair. The padded platform (for me) is about 2-3 inches higher than the chair height. That means that if I didn't have the stand, I'd have to crouch down to reach the mouthpiece if it was on the chair, or stretch up to reach it if it was on my leg.

I was skeptical at first, but when I found I didn't need to support or balance the horn, I could really concentrate on the physical aspects of producing the sound (breathing, slides and valves). I didn't really know how much useful energy I was wasting trying to support and position the horn. Not to mention the constricted sound that can happen when my body tenses up by supporting the horn.

All this to say that I don't use the stand all the time - maybe about 70% of the time. But I'm glad I have one.

Does this help?

For whatever it's worth, etc.

<>

Follow Ups: