Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Now, that's sad...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 30, 2002 at 08:53:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Now, that's sad... posted by I agree but... on September 27, 2002 at 14:21:38:

Play music for the people while educatiing your students. My previous end remark was for the university guys who think it is needed to play hard music that 5% of the audience gets. There is a lot of good music out there for the audience at all levels. If we play music for the audience using our students (i.e. musicians) then their parents (and other assorted benefactors) can better relate to what the music students are learning. Throwing one or two "academic" pieces on a program isn't harmful and if done right where the conductor or emcee informs the concertgoers of the intention of the piece. This allows for education to also take place with the audience. However, we still need to keep active audience interest. Without that, we have parents who become unsettled and worry more about their camcorders than the rest of the audience around them. I agree that educating students is important, but we have to understand that the end result is still for the audience, irregardless.

Matt G, Music Ed. Degree Holder

Follow Ups: