Re: Re: Re: tuning slide in leadpipe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on September 26, 2002 at 20:34:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: tuning slide in leadpipe posted by Scott Norberg on September 26, 2002 at 18:43:30:

Other than a change in pitch, I can detect no difference in response with the lead pipe/tuning slide in different positions. The only drawback I've ever seen is that a tuning slide in front of the valveset will cause the moisture induced into the horn to condense quicker. Water in the leadpipe will certainly change the way a horn responds so make sure you have a convenient way to remove the water. I've done a lot of goofy things with horns and I don't think there are any perfect formulas. I put a York sousa valveset of a Buescher sousa because I liked the way the Buescher 'fit' but its valveset was beyond simple replating. I stuck a tuning slide on the homemade helicon because it was majorly sharp. Make no mistake.... I am not a professional musician or repairman so this is just an amatuer opinion. I was a manufacturing engineer in an automobile horn manufacturing plant and I can tell you first-hand that acoustics is not an exact science. I think probably Adolph Sax made a horn and then blew it to discover what key it was... then tweaked it to make it in tune. There are just too many things that affect the way a horn blows for me to think that a tuning slide in front of the valveset of behind the valveset would make much difference. Just an opinion.

Follow Ups: