Re: Death Rattle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on September 20, 2002 at 18:33:31:

In Reply to: Death Rattle posted by Eric Howard on September 19, 2002 at 21:00:24:

Check for leaks. A while back I kept hearing a buzz that I was sure was something in my room. Then I took my horn on job, and the buzz came with me. It would happen high in the staff and just above, and wasn't loud so it didn't spoil the concert. My trombone colleagues localized it in the leadpipe area. To me, it was a "ventriloquist" it seemed to come from "over there."

I took it to Matt, and after considerable trial and error (that's how tough these things can be if it was hard for Matt to find) it turned out to be a pinpoint leak in the leadpipe. This particular pipe was so old and fragile that it was more practical for him to make a new one, which has worked out great. It is my good fortune to live within easy traveling to Dillon's.

But the point is, you may need a really good repairman to help you figure out where your noise is coming from. It could be a small crack in a branch. I had one of those once, and my horn has a patch on it put there by the late great John Pettinato, "Pepi" as he was known.

Follow Ups: