Re: Re: Re: Shipping a Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Still B Careful on September 20, 2002 at 00:11:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Shipping a Tuba posted by Amtrak is good on September 19, 2002 at 21:33:38:

I had a tuba shipped to me via Amtrak recently and learned a few valuable lessons:

1st, not all stations will accept a tuba anymore. You may have to drive to a bigger city.

Have the case/box marked with obvious "fragile", "do not drop", "do not stack", and "this end up" stickers. This is very important if the case can stand on the bell end. In my situation, I believe the tuba was dropped onto the bell part of the case which added a crease to the bell.

And most importantly, inspect the tuba thoroughly at the station when you pick it up. All shipping damage must be claimed at the station when the tuba is received. I gave the case and the tuba a once over at the station but didn't see the new bell crease on the back of the bell until I got it home.

Fortunately, my excellent local repair tech was able to rolled out the crease for practically nothing and the story ended well.

Remember, tuba's are heavy and even a contentious Amtrak worker can make a mistake and drop your baby.

All the best,

--paul;

Follow Ups: