Re: Can you practice consistency?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on September 19, 2002 at 09:21:11:

In Reply to: Can you practice consistency? posted by MG on September 18, 2002 at 23:58:14:

You've already answered the questions yourself. Consistency comes with doing the same things, the same way, over and over.

In my opinion, the primary difference in a professional and an amateur has to do with consistency. The pro will always do the same things well and knows when to leave something out. This applies particularly to freelance players. The orchestral players have a chance to practice the part for many weeks, sometimes months, before the performance and a freelancer sometimes sees the music only once, and that's the performance.

I studied with Roger Bobo years ago and he had an exercise to build consistency. It isn't difficult, just requires concentration. I haven't used it for several years, but if memory serves me it is in one of the Bordogni/Rochut books (I used the trombone version). The exercise is in 10/4. Play it at quarter equals 60, one breath to a measure. Make every effort to play every note well and each measure in one breath. When you get to the point where you can concentrate well enough to play this without a mistake, then consistency will no longer be a problem. (I studied with Roger in 1978 and at that time he related that he'd only played it perfectly 1 time. Perhaps more by now!!)

Follow Ups: