Re: graduate school choices and auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on September 16, 2002 at 16:00:42:

In Reply to: graduate school choices and auditions posted by David B on September 16, 2002 at 12:16:30:

There are several places I considered when I looked into grad. schools. First, Indiana, and Michigan. Both powerhouse tuba schools, with excellent faculty, and wonderful teachers. Then I looked into Rice, USC, and NEC. Also, very good schools, not as powerful as the first two. Then I thought about study in Europe with Bobo or Culbertson. For me, this was not financially feasible. After several lessons with Mr. Perantoni through the years, I decided on IU. So, now, here I am, in good ol' bloomington, surrounded by incredible musicians, and some really nice people.

As for repertoire, I played Penderecki Capriccio, Vaughan Williams concerto, a Snedecor Low Etude, and whatever excerpts Mr. P wanted. This was a little different than others people's auditions, as Mr. P already knew me, and how I played.

After I played, Mr. P and I sat and taked for a while about life, tuba, women.. etc... A very pleasant experience, indeed!

My recommendations, from experience. I hope they help!

Best of luck!

~John

Follow Ups: