Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on September 09, 2002 at 19:44:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by Rick Denney on September 09, 2002 at 14:30:27:

Agreed. I easily passed the Georgia High School graduation test--all sections with distinction, and a perfect score in math, english, and writing. And one of 7 to pass the science test with distinction.

I'm not bragging, I'm merely trying to state that I could probably have done obscene biological acts to my test and still passed. Standardized state tests on the high school level are a joke. They are there only to satisfy parents cries for accountability and such, yet most sixth-grade students already know the material tested.

I hear, however, that tests for home-schooled students are comprehensive, difficult, and generally will measure what the child has learned. I would wager that most home schooled students could pass this exam, though, while even I might have trouble.

My high school career mostly involved being "taught to the test" (except for Math, Music, and AP English and Government). Any further learning I had to take responsibility for on my own.

While evolution is not the main concern here, it does serve to demonstrate one visible, tangible flaw in education, not from a moral standpoint, but from a scientific and critical thinking one. I hear the "teach kids to think for themselves" argument a lot down in Georgia, yet those same people are the ones who insist that evolution be taught and blindly accepted. This too is a double-standard.

We need teachers who care about teaching, not about making money or a career. When this happens, I won't mind pay raises for teachers. This mentality that is needed is why home school students for the most part do well.

Teachers (public and home) need to take an interest and be willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to help students learn. Maybe some kids learn better doing worksheets. But some learn better one on one, some by continuous practice of any skill, and other ways. This is why education skills (the right ones, at least) are necessary. But even taht drive fails if the teacher doesn't know the subject.

Doug "who has tried, finally, to stick to the topic" G

Follow Ups: