Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on September 09, 2002 at 00:01:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by Another View on September 08, 2002 at 15:36:02:

You statements would make it easy to classify you as a "liberal" and to simply ignore you, but it seems the whole point of this thread is that discourse and free thought is a good thing.

So,

Why shouldn't drugs be taught the same way as sex? "You're going to do it, so here's how to do it safely" wold never stand up to public opinion or moral truth in regard to heroin, so why should it in regard to sex?

With your misunderstanding of science, faith, religion, and "facts", of course you will make the above argument in regard to evolution. You have blindly accepted the word of people with an agenda that evolution is science and creation is religion. You simply arbitrarily apply these labels to stifle informed debate. What constitutes a religious argument when interpreting facts? If I see design in nature, can I argue this fact as evidence of a designer? Oops--that must be religious. Thus you have prevented a logical conclusion from even being considered due to your bias, which was formed beforehand. True science accepts that ANY possiblity can be found true following experimentation. To forbid any possible conclusion from being considered, no matter how crazy you think it might be, is unscientific. I think that we can all agree that to use public schools to try to convince children of the truth of one religious perspective vs. another, or none for that matter, is just wrong. I agree. But to teach evolution is just as much a religious perspective as creation. Evolution denies a designer, which is just as religious as recognizing one. This can go on forever in a pointless circle of semantics, which is why Rick is right in saying the concept should not be taught in public education at all. It results in too many ideas presented as facts by people (on either side) with agendas, and requires blind acceptance of these facts. Promote critical thought, indeed. But banning religious arguments from the picture stifles critical thought and is just generally bad science.

Of course parents have ulterior motives in raising their children. That's why they are the PARENTS. Like it or not, the majority of parents in this country are religious, and it is their right as citizens here to raise their children to believe their religion. So, yes, parents' ulterior motives are DIFFERENT from public education, and rightfully so.

I attended public school. I am a Christian. I believe in the power of science. I have concluded through objective study that God created the Earth in six days. I play the tuba. My parents raised me in church, but that is not why I go. But likewise, I believe that it is your right to feel the way you do, just as it is my right to engage you in this discussion.

Cheers

Doug "wow, typed a lot tonight" G

Follow Ups: