Re: Re: The Swing of the Pendulum

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on September 06, 2002 at 23:36:55:

In Reply to: Re: The Swing of the Pendulum posted by Doug W. (long rant) on September 06, 2002 at 18:28:46:

I agree totally with what you are saying, I guess I didn't articulate that well(much like on the tuba.) I do, however, disagree when you say schools don't change. You used hazing as an example-Hazing is an activity that was once thought acceptable. That is no longer the case. Progress...
Anyway, I agree that the pendulum swings from ineffective reform to ineffective reform. I was just trying to point that out to people who seemed to think schools were the same as they used to be. They are ineffective, but they ARE different.
Consider the bright side-Our school systems have done a great job of fostering and catering to athletically talented individuals. Look at the average income of those who are lucky enough to be involved in pro sports. Are we doing them a disservice? Certainly not. We teach them what it is like to be coddled, how to grow an extremely large ego, and how to forgo loyalty to friends and employers in lieu of an additional signing bonus.
I am SURE that the tuba is only a tad behind. I am waiting on my lucrative signing bonus right now...

Follow Ups: