Re: 6/4 tubas (I know I know..archives..but

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by been there.... on September 05, 2002 at 21:08:32:

In Reply to: 6/4 tubas (I know I know..archives..but posted by Tubaguy on September 05, 2002 at 17:01:31:

Tubaguy,

Been there done that very thing. Here's what I did. Duing the week of the Midwest Band and Orcherstra Clinic(1997), all of those horns were in the same place. With many thanks to my dear friend/mentor, we were able to to arrange getting all of the horns I was interested in in a room far away from the din of the exhibition hall and into Orchestra Hall. It was Dave Porter (USAF Band, D.C)Jeff Rideout (Custom Music) some other guys who helped schlepp all the tubas over, GP and myself. GP and I took turns playing all of the instruments one after another and getting feedback from everyone who was present. Most of the talking was done by the four of us, the other guys I think had had very long days already, and didn't want to hear Fountains and the Ride and all those other bloody excerpts at 10:30 at night!!!

The horns we had were: 5/4 Nirschl, Grand Orchestral, 2165(sans tone ring), PT-6, CSO York Number 1, and, I think that was it. After going through all of them, the order that we were all pretty much in total agreement was, in descending order: CSO York Number 1, 2165, PT-6, Nirschl, and finally the Grand orchestral.

After the bodies had fallen and the dust had settled, we rode home together. We talked about everything, all the likes and dislikes and what not. Stopped, had some italian beefs then he dropped me off. Just before I got out, he said, "Here's what you do. You write down all the pros and all the cons of each instrument. Compare them as closely and as accurately as you can. After you have done that, throw the list away and go with your gut."

I decided on the 2165. Money was an issue, yes, but not the determining factor.

This is an investment in your future that you are making. This game is difficult enough without starting yourself off with a limp. If you are serious about getting 6/4 tuba, make sure you get one that YOU feel good about.

On a later post, someone mentioned an old Holton, small world. Dave Fedderly hooked me up with a great one that I am using at work now and couldn't me more in love. If I would have had to keep the 2165 I had, I would have had no problem with doing so, it was a really good one. (FYI: Dave may have it still, unless someone already picked it up......)

Just my 2 yuans worth..

Follow Ups: