Re: 6/4 tubas (I know I know..archives..but

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. on September 05, 2002 at 18:31:43:

In Reply to: 6/4 tubas (I know I know..archives..but posted by Tubaguy on September 05, 2002 at 17:01:31:

If money is an object, then you won't be able to get a Nirschl ($14,000) or a Yorkbrunner (even more). You might look into an old Holton or Bohm & Meinl 6/4. The Neptune that I have played was a great horn and definatly a lot of horn for the money. I found the 2165 surprisingly difficult to play. . . I don't know anything about the Gronitz tubas. . . A lot of people like the big Perantucci horns, but I have no experience with them, either. (PT-7, I think). I used to play a Kalison and I have heard good things about the new line (totally different from the old, bad reputation, so it is probably worth a look). . . My 6/4 is an old Holton, the only thing out there right now that I think is any better is the Nirschl and if I had the money, I'd probably have one. (I'm thinking of making an attempt at getting one; if anyone is serious about getting a Holton 6/4 CC or a PT-22 Eb email me privately, both are excellent horns). . .

these are all just opinions, mostly based on a very very small number of the horns in question, so, of course, your milage may very.

--T. J. Ricer
www.hometown.aol.com/bubbatuba

Follow Ups: