Re: Doubling on completely different instrmn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl H. on September 04, 2002 at 22:07:24:

In Reply to: Doubling on completely different instrmn posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 04, 2002 at 20:23:37:

Absolutely. Electric bass is a great addition to tuba in that you get exposed to so many different musical styles and environments. Almost all rock/top 40 bands, country, jazz big bands, combos, and lounge-lizard-blue-tuxedo acts all use bass rather than tuba.

Bass teaches you the importance of keeping a steady tempo, the difference between dominating and supporting, and subtleties of rhythmic grooves (swing 8ths, 12/8 shuffle, etc.) It's fun, easy (I always said I could make anyone a functional bass player in 30 minutes--but that was back in Texas where we played both country and western music...) and chicks always dig the bass player. Another very important skill is reading chord patterns; gaining a clearer understanding of music construction, chord, and scale degree tendencies.

Bass playing was how I made my living my first few years in college, and I can still pick it up and play without too much embarrasment: unlike tuba, electric bass has no minimum-daily-requirement of practice to be functional, and bass players always get work. I always feel comfortable playing tuba in non-classical styles largely from my past experience on bass.

Keep it up! You'll never regret learning the instrument. If you want to add another (or have your heart set on Broadway) add bass trombone.

Karl "My Heroes Have Always been Cowboys, Jake, and Jaco" Hovey

Follow Ups: