Re: Mouthpiece Puller ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Tyler on September 04, 2002 at 13:12:24:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece Puller ? posted by Shane Harris on September 03, 2002 at 08:20:24:

Shane, I have used the following method several times with success after pullers have failed. I have described it over the phone to others, and it has worked. Have someone hold the trumpet, take the rim area of the mouthpiece in one hand, pull on the mouthpiece as hard as is comfortable (don't pull the other person over) and strike the MOUTHPIECE SHANK right as it enters the receiver with the handle of a medium size ball peen hammer. Strike the mouthpiece, not the receiver. Use the handle, not the head of the hammer. Use a ball peen not a claw hammer (the handle on the claw hammer is too big around). Strike it sharply. Don't try to follow through to bend the receiver, but hit it hard enough to hear the smack. So far I have never had to hit it more than three times, and so far it has never failed. Don't use something as soft as rawhide. The hickory in the hammer handle seems about right. Don't use something too hard, such as metal, you might damage the instrument. I hope this helps. If you get chance let me know how you make out. Jim

Follow Ups: