Re: How I became a REAL Bass Trombone player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on September 03, 2002 at 07:15:07:

In Reply to: How I became a REAL Bass Trombone player posted by Marty Neilan on September 02, 2002 at 23:06:28:

You've hit the nail on the head with relaxed air and no blatting. It also doesn't suprise me about a bas player having better technique, especially considering the amount of time having to be spent on moving between extreme position switches and trigger use.

The only thing to add for less experienced players would be to develop the ability to fit in the section. In the trombone community, there is great discussion concerning the tone used by the bass trombonist. Many feel that the bass trombonist should sound more bright all of the time, without regard for the blend with the tuba/string bass section. Some feel that the bass trombone should be a mellow blender with the lower sounding instruments. The best bass trombonist have the sound capability to do both.

Big band bass trombone can be a different animal as well. Still, the best players; IMHO, can project without blatting the lacquer off the bell.

I liked your post. It is very helpful for bass trombone students as well as tuba players wanting to double. Thanks

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: