Re: tips on wearing a sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. on September 02, 2002 at 09:46:05:

In Reply to: tips on wearing a sousaphone posted by Keneth Sloan on September 01, 2002 at 22:52:03:

Here's my way, no idea if it's right or not:

the horn should be held about a ninety degree angle from your body, not parallel with it. This seems to be the most common problem. If you are going to hold it that way, of course, the bell needs to be put on in line with the tubing that hits your shoulder (of course this is approx.) (the bell points in line, the flair is perpendicular, however you want to think about it)

As for the bits, it seems best to me to have them come straight out of the neck. The first forward and up and the second, up then forward, so it makes kind of this shape:

_
_/

Of course this all has to be adjusted to the size of the player so that they can bring the mouthpiece to their face rather than vice-versa.
the bits should not make a C shape and turn toward the player, then it almost always has to be held at the mouthpiece and it misaligns everything. . .

just my take, and my last three years of marching band were spent field commanding, not marching sousa, but I do get out to parades with the old union guys now and again. . .

--T. J.

Follow Ups: