Re: "play with proper stratigies"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on September 30, 2001 at 21:37:17:

In Reply to: "play with proper stratigies" posted by jlb on September 30, 2001 at 19:37:13:

I still remember some fine points Dave Bragunier (National Symphony) taught me that carried over into the rest of my life.
1) When you see 3 or more F's (fortes), don't play as loud as you can because conductors are like women. They will always ask for more. If you held back a little, you can play louder the second time and the conductor will be happy. This may be no louder than what you would have done if you went ahead and played as loudly as you can the first time, but this way the conductor will be happy.

2) Never play (do or be) so softly that you can't play the notes (accomplish the desired results).

3) There are usually at least 3 right ways to play something (do a job), but wrong is WRONG!
3a) The hard way.
3b) The easy way.
3c) The way you do it on an auditon. Think about when the boss is looking over your shoulder but doesn't want you to do it the easy way because he didn't invent that way.

These are a couple of my favorites that have held true and helped me through the years. Thank you Dave Bragunier.
Matt

Follow Ups: