Posted by js on September 30, 2001 at 19:51:25:
In Reply to: "play with proper stratigies" posted by jlb on September 30, 2001 at 19:37:13:
Matt can define his own terms, but I would think:
- Play to the general pitch level of the group, no matter how goofy (typically "high" when involving amateurs who are hiring professionals to play with them) it might be.
- Particularly when in an ensemble of strangers, play with the group and never over the group, unless it is very clear that soloistic playing is called for.
- If one encounters something beyond one's technical means (range, speed, etc. - a bassoon or trombone II part, perhaps) come up with something acceptable to play, then quietly consult later with the conductor or leader.
- Play the style, whatever it is, but don't overdo it.
- When sightreading a concert, if in doubt, leave it out.
' plenty more...