Re: Hey, B&S experts.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on September 27, 2001 at 10:35:32:

In Reply to: Hey, B&S experts..... posted by Tony Clements on September 27, 2001 at 09:46:58:

What others have said is accurate. If I remember correctly the PT-20 has more of a 'smoke stack' style bell than the PT-4P. Which, as others have stated, is the horn that the PT-20 was an attempt to improve upon. The pictures on the VMI website don't seem to corroborate this but it could just be a matter of camara angle.

The PT-12 is a six valve PT-10. The PT-16 is a six valve PT-15. The differences between the PT-10 and PT-15 are mostly subtle. The largest difference is that the PT-15 is notably heavier.. especially in the bottom bow and bell. I own an older PT-6(the newer ones are heavier) and my PT-15 is as heavy as my PT-6. The PT-10s have a detachable leadpipe and shipped with two different leadpipes so that you could choose between. The PT-15 has a 'computer designed' leadpipe and is not removable. The PT-10s also came with(don't know if they still do) both a one step and two step fifth valve slide. It's harder to locate a double whole step fifth for the PT-15 but I did manage to get one.

Interesting sidenote: even though my PT-6 and PT-15 are very different instruments the valve sections are identical in terms of bore size. The main tuning slides are actually interchangable.

Hope that helps,
joseph

Follow Ups: