Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wanted-fiberglass sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on September 26, 2001 at 07:50:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wanted-fiberglass sousaphone posted by Klaus on September 26, 2001 at 07:13:00:

Indeed. Knowing the standard Conn bore sizes, I assumed that was a mistake in amateur measurement -- it's hard to measure a bore accurately unless you know how.

BTW, I have just obtained a 1937 Conn catalog. I am looking at color scanners, and when I get one I will scan this catalog's low brass pages in for posting. Some interesting points:

1. Both 38K and 20K were available in 1937, price on 38K reduced. Described both as 'Sousaphone Grands', apparently the ONLY difference is that the 20K has the short action valves. (No mention of 40K, or the option of adding a 4th valve, as in the earlier brochure "New Wonder Basses and Sousaphones" from 31/32) We've all suspected this, but this is the closest thing I've found to written confirmation. There is also a photo shown of father and son tuba valve makers, stating the father developed the short action valve. No names. Several years ago, I heard that there was only one guy who could make the short action valves (apparently it's tricky handwork), and he was old and arthritic. Possibly this is the son of the inventor shown in the catalog picture.

2. 26J bass is shown as four short action front action valves, recording bell, with illustration. Based on numbering patterns (20J-24J, 21J-25J, 22J, 23J), I have speculated about this horn, but this is the first confirmation in writing. [1931/2 "New Wonder Basses and Sousaphones" brochure lists (but does not illustrate] 26J as a 3 valve, top action upright fixed bell BBb bass] 27J with upright bell remains conjecture, but is now almost certain.

3. Nice illustration of 5 valve double bell euphonium. Many euphonium models available with short action or regular long action valves.

Follow Ups: