Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New York Phil on PBS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 24, 2001 at 17:53:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New York Phil on PBS posted by Tim Murphy on September 24, 2001 at 16:09:30:

First, and most importantly, please relay my thanks and my high regards to your friend. She is truly one of my heroes. I simply don't know how to express my appreciation for her and the many others involved in the rescue effort there. Until the 11th, it was difficult to find a contemporary hero to hold up for my children, but not now.

Also, please accept my apology for incorrectly attributing the claim that the comments were 'unpatriotic' to you. I don't know if I saw that somewhere else or just imagined it, but it certainly was not in your post.

I guess our disagreement comes from a different point of view of the phrase,'dig through rubble' I have heard about a zillion newscasters, commentators, politicians, ministers, and spokespeople talk about the rescue workers 'digging through the rubble, searching for signs of life.' I don't think they intended to minimize the gravity or enormity of the task, I know for certain I don't; and I don't really think the anonymous one intended it that way - though either of us would need to be a mind-reader to know for certain. At this point, I just want you to understand that those words, however they may have been received, did not seem TO ME to do anything but hold that up as a place where one could learn true humanity.

Joe Baker, who could just as easily have used the same expression, and who would have meant it with respect and reverence.

=========== The below is off-topic, and only tangentially related to this post.

A note to those of you who are in New York. In the past, New York has been the subject of derision to many Americans. Not so today. Please know that the nation mourns with you today. We are heartbroken at your loss, and enraged at those responsible. In 13 days, our church has held at least a half-dozen special prayer services (in addition to normal services). The teenagers in the churches in our small town have banded together to form a daily non-denominational prayer time before school. We're all bleary eyed from staying up watching CNN half the night. You simply cannot find a car or a home that does not display an American flag. We want desperately to perform some service to directly aid the people of New York, but for most of us all we can do is give. A couple of local radio stations went out to the Ballpark the other day, with no advance notice of their plans, and put out the hat for the Red Cross. They collected over $400,000 in one day. They did it again a couple of days later and got another $300,000. A local grade school took the money they have been saving for 7 years to buy playground equipment, and gave it to the Red Cross. The local Red Cross and Salvation Army have asked people to quit giving anything but money, because they have no place to put all of the food, blankets, coats, tools, etc. This is all in the Dallas, TX area, and I see nothing to indicate that we are any different from the rest of the country.

God Bless you guys.

Follow Ups: