Re: I need advise.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on September 20, 2001 at 13:58:01:

In Reply to: I need advise. posted by Rather not say on September 20, 2001 at 10:28:02:

Talk to your teacher.

Ask him specifically what about your performance in lessons is making him unhappy. If you think that he's smashing your grapes, let him know. I'm not suggesting that you need to be confrontational, but if you don't understand why he's unhappy with you, you need to find out.

Do you know the literature as well as you could, or are you being a bit too easy on yourself? For every two hours that you practice, you should spend an hour listening. Doesn't matter if it's not the piece you are working on, you need to be learning the language. You will never have more time in your life than right now to listen to as much music as you can.

I will agree with some of the other posters that he is likely trying to push you to your potential. All of us, consciously or unconsciously, tend to put barriers on our own performances. My undergrad teacher used to always ask questions like this:

Him: Why didn't you do that in one breath?
Me: Because I can't do it in one breath.
Him: Have you tried?
Me: No.

Then, I'd try, and I'd succeed. What I didn't realize is that I didn't need his permission to sound better. I figured this part out later in life, in my mid twenties.

Your teacher may be your harshest critic, but, aside from yourself, nobody cares more about your playing than he does. Talk with him.

Good luck,
DZ

Follow Ups: