Re: Re: Left hand side action pistons

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 19, 2001 at 08:50:45:

In Reply to: Re: Left hand side action pistons posted by Jay Bertolet on September 19, 2001 at 07:10:33:

Hi Jay!

If you should have missed something, then maybe the tiny detail, that I interprete as a leadpipe crossing past the bell stack. Ending in a mouthpiece placed a bit over and in front of the bandsmanÜs knee. Making it obvious, at least to me, that this instrument was intended for upright playing.

My considerations of this instruments playing ergonomics are founded on experiences, that other 3+1 euph players may have been childish enough to share with me. In sitting playing it actually is possible to play such an instrument with the 3 top valves operated by ones left hand, while the 4th valve is operated by ones right index finger.

Not extremely comfortable, but manageable regarding the left hand, if one has my orangutang proportions. Very uncomfortable for the right hand, because the odd hand position puts strain on some forearm tendons and their seatings in the wrist area.

We could enter endless discussions whether this photo has been mirrored. An expert in military uniforms and insigniae like the belt buckle would the one to come up with a resolve on that point.

My main point, mirroring or not, is that this instrument is of the reach-over type.

A few more notes:

The valves have a high degree of similarity to modern pistons. Especially considering them being pre March 13, 1863.

The valve wrapping resembles very much that of modern "short" valve bones.

I most certainly do not envy the stated short life of this bandsman. But I have had an, if not-uncut, then un-shaved, beard for 32.6720547945 years. Not being able to come up with anything comparable. (In the era of our photo the drum major of our royal guard was obliged to present such a beard on parades. The guard's internal collection is said to still own a fake beard to help out on natural shortcomings).

My interest in brass history is well stated, but I demand from each specimen of my 40+ collection to be playable (one is down on that point). I found that my resident nestor, a 1919 Hawkes G bass bone (if not handsome, then at least handle-some) needed a soulmate. Half a day ago I during my sleep won a 1921 Hawkes Bb tenor. Same embellishments of engravings. But presenting the combined technological developments of 2 years. This one has a tightening screw at the bell to slide connection.

I probably went too high in my fight with the raw power of East Asian money flow. Still you are invited to a peek through the link.

Klaus

Follow Ups: