Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best recording of Till Eulenspiegel?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on September 16, 2001 at 21:27:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best recording of Till Eulenspiegel? posted by Richard on September 16, 2001 at 11:23:41:

Just as I occasionally accidentally double-click, since you possibly also did perhaps I could double-answer:

Forget the Cleveland orchestra and their well-known horn soloist of the Szell days. Rent the video tape of the original "FANTASIA" Disney animated feature and critically listen to the intonation, quality of sound, and ensemble of that probably-about-the-best-that-money-could-buy orchestra. Clearly, today's Eastman, Juilliard, Curtis, summer conservatory students' festival orchestras, etc. (even UNDERGRAD) orchestras have markedly better players in many of the sections. This is not an insult to those musicians who were at the time playing that music better than it ever had been played. Rather, this continuing "raising of the bar" of musicality and technicality it is an astonishing worldwide accomplishment.

Back to Til ':

Considering the absolute prominence of the solo hornist in that piece, I simply don't care to listen to the already oft-enough mentioned horn player's offerings, considering the other recordings of other players that are available. It's simply too much of a distraction to me away from the piece's overall effect. Originally mentioning a specific individual (on may part) was perhaps a poor choice of posts, although I am quite certain that the expression of my opinions will have absolutely no effect on that person's career, stature, nor income.

Follow Ups: