Re: John Fletcher CD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on September 12, 2001 at 22:36:15:

In Reply to: John Fletcher CD posted by clay on September 12, 2001 at 12:21:55:

Did you know there is a book about John Fletcher that was also released at about the same time as the cd? It contains rememberances and tributes to him from many of the UK and US's foremost brass player, as well as a series of articles written by Fletcher for a brass band magazine.

The book is fantastic. I find it to be very inspirational in its descriptions of John Fletcher's approach to playing music and living life in general. It's a great reminder that playing the tuba is about making statements with music, not about the pedantry of mouthpieces, spit valve corks, and scuba gear.

The book was available directly from Philip Jones, but since his death I don't know who (if anyone) is carrying this book. I think it would be great if enough interest was generated to ensure a second pressing of the cd and the book. Sales of the book also benefit a charity to help fund musical study for young people.

I can't remember what the exact title is, but I'm sure that some of the other guys in the UK could provide it (so can I, as soon as I manage to get home from the US).

Jeff

Follow Ups: