Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: information please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patti on September 09, 2001 at 14:31:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: information please posted by Lew on September 09, 2001 at 13:49:28:

I finally found a decent tape measure here. The bell is 19" across, the overall length (from the edge of the bell sort of diagonally across to the bottom of the bottom bow is approximately 33". It's sort of hard to tell exactly but that's pretty close.

Surprisingly enough, considering that it has not been too well loved lately, all but one of the braces is intact and solid. All the joints seem tight (my son checked for air leaks), all four spit valves are intact (they need the little plug to seal them replaced), and all the large valve slides are free, some of the smaller ones are frozen. There are the normal dents and dings that would be expected considering it's most recent storage and it's age and there is a small crease in the bell. The pictures show it after I was able to get some of the dirt off. It's still pretty grungy though. I was told, and believe, that it has been in a basement for years. My son, my car, and I all smelled like old tuba yesterday.

There are a few small spots that have a rough, white deposit left even after I cleaned them. I'm afraid to scrub too hard although the finish is shot anyway. It almost seems like a calcium deposit but I'm hard pressed to figure that one out. Does anyone have any suggestions for this.

The worst damage is to the #4 valve but I do think it's repairable. It took three people practically standing on our heads to decide that the valve was a bit flat on one side. It is playable as a 3 valve horn right now. I am really looking forward to getting it into shape and seeing it out there being used. I'm just happy I got it before it wound up nailed to the wall at our local TGI Friday's.

Patti

Follow Ups: