Re: Re: Re: Detachable Bell CCs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on September 09, 2001 at 01:45:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Detachable Bell CCs posted by Lew on September 08, 2001 at 12:54:26:

Just a thought...The new 2341 has the bell and bottom bow of the Conn 56J, correct? If so, that is not just a one-piece version of the old 2341 bell, so this seems kinda like an unfair comparison, almost like comparing 2 different horns.
But the idea of the bell collar makes sense, on some horns. Like Jay said about the original Deck 2165, there was a "donut" ring in the bell. Seeing how this horn was created to produce a sound like a vintage tuba, I had come to pretty much the same conclusion, that the ring was used to emulate a bell collar.
I own an early Yamaha 822-CC that had this same type of ring installed by the previous owner. Its placement is about where a bell-collar would be placed, with a width and thickness to match. I have been curious to see how the horn would play without it, but it plays wonderfully the way it is. The gauge of metal of this horn is not as thick as an old King, and I do feel that my horn benefits from this ring. Others I have heard play the same model don't seem to hold up as well in the loud dynamics, and seems a little less focused (I'm judging also by hearing other's play my horn, so its not just my big head talking). I feel that with this setup, my horn has the benefits of a bell-collar without an actual conversion being done, and some would like the way it looks more. But me, I would love to see this horn with a detachable bell and a dark lacquer finish, but then again, I'm a vintage succor (must be the sax-player in me).
Did I even really discuss the topic here?
Steve C

Follow Ups: