Re: Uhh...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on September 08, 2001 at 12:38:29:

In Reply to: Uhh... posted by curious on September 08, 2001 at 10:32:08:

I am 6" 5" and many tuba leadpipes are a little too low for me when I sit the tuba on my lap. The only one that I found that was too high was my Conn 21J, but that was made to be played with a single tuning bit. With the bit, which allowed a lot more flexibility in mouthpiece position, it was fine. What really matters is not your total height, but your height when sitting. I know people a couple of inches shorter than I who are about the same height when seated because most of the height difference is in their legs.
Manufacturers seem to be looking for a reasonable compromise in leadpipe height, but everyone's built a little differently and what's perfect for one will be wrong for another.

I found the leadpipe on my older style King 2341 a little low for me, and the leadpipe on the new King 2341 seems a little higher. I find the new King well balanced and very confortable to hold. Also, with front action valves you can lean the tuba a little more to the side to get a more comfortable position. Top action valves make this more difficult to do.

Follow Ups: