Re: What'd you used to play

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 07, 2001 at 16:13:55:

In Reply to: What'd you used to play posted by Steve Dedman on September 05, 2001 at 20:54:55:

I started out on trumpet in 7th grade and I thought that I was going to stick with it. Heck I once had a Bach Strad 43 bell trumpet, a Bach Strad 37 bell long cornet and a Yamaha Fluegelhorn. I had modular mouthpieces and the whole bit. I practiced my butt off and was the Lead player in Jazz band in middle school because I was playing double Eb's, F's and G's way above the staff (much to the dismay of the high school kids in the joint concerts). I was on first trumpet in marching band for the same reason. We had a very smart middle school director who in concert band had me play third trumpet (??!?). But then I recognized he had a stong player on second, too, but I also had a LOUD low register. However, one day our best and basically only tuba player in the top band moved back to CA (I don't blame him or his parents) and I decided to give it a shot since I figured I could still play trumpet in the Jazz band and Marching band. Well I kept playing in jazz band, but the director stuck a fibreglass souzie on me there, too. I didn't see the light at first, I kept trying to play the trumpet into high school. My high school director convinced me to give trombone (bass) a shot and that worked so I dropped the cursed trumpet and played both bass bone and tuba through college. In fact I thought about becoming a bass bone major, but a good friend and inspiration on the tuba talked me out of it...

Sorry for the long post.

Matt G

Follow Ups: