Re: Re: New versus Old

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Taj on September 06, 2001 at 23:28:51:

In Reply to: Re: New versus Old posted by John on September 06, 2001 at 07:13:01:

I agree with the philosophy of making your present horn sound as good as you can for the time being and saving for the "right" horn. I had to work a bit harder with my old recording bass to play in tune, but got to the place with it where it sounded pretty good with the band in our CDs. It seems a lot easier to center in tune with a group that is playing in tune. Then, when you have the wherewithall to buy the horn you want it will be all the more sweet. My new horn is wonderful, but not perfect. I have to push for the low B natural to be right when I'm practicing (it is a bit sharp.) When I play it with the group it centers much easier. I'm not much inclined to pull slides a lot so I became better at lipping.

When you are ready to decide which horn with real $ in hand, talk to someone like Mike Russo at Brasswind about what kind of playing you plan on using it for and get suggestions on the most appropriate horn(s) for the purpose. This kind of call to a dealer now can give you a clue as to how much you really need to save. Maybe you don't need to spend the whole 7K. Play as many of them as you can realistically get close to. Work with a reputable dealer and you can avoid the worst part of buyers remorse.
Taj

Follow Ups: