Re: PT6's vs. Rudy Meinl 5/4 vs. Wilson 3050

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Clouse on September 06, 2001 at 13:48:53:

In Reply to: PT6's vs. Rudy Meinl 5/4 vs. Wilson 3050 posted by jon schultz on September 06, 2001 at 09:07:13:

I've tried all thrre of these horns, and they all do their jobs well. However...

Wilson: I used to be in love with this horn until I recorded myself playing on it. It plays like butter and feels incredible. However, the *feel* and the actual sound were different. (For me) the sound was very indistinct and unclear. It was almost as if the sound were TOO dark and mellow. There was little punch or articulation, and the articultions I tried all sounded the same. Also, there were a couple notes that were just too far out of tune to be comfortable. (These are my own evaluations, I don't mean to upset anyone)

Rudy; I've spent the least amount of time on this horn, but found the least to complain about while I was there. My only gripe was that it felt a little uncomfortable to actually sit and play. The horn itself was good, just not the right size or shape (once again, FOR ME).

PT6 and PT6p; I really like the newest pt6, and the piston version is pretty good too. Some of the PTs are dogs, and some are really good. (In my experience, the rotors seem to be more consistent) Be smart when you shop (this goes for all horns and all makers). In general, the scale is even, the sound is plentiful, and the craftsmanship is very good. My only complaint is the price, but you get what you pay for.

My only advice is to actually record yourself on these horns and let different friends listen to you. I got wonderful advice from a horn player, and some of the best constructive criticism I've ever gotten from a CLARINET player. It changed what I was chasing after, as well as my entire concept of my own sound.

Good luck.

Dan

Follow Ups: