Re: What'd you used to play

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on September 05, 2001 at 21:56:14:

In Reply to: What'd you used to play posted by Steve Dedman on September 05, 2001 at 20:54:55:

Age 4 - a pressed board ukelele that my brother helped me with by tearing off the incorrect fretboard and replacing it with a posterboard-and-toothpicks fretboard that played in tune.

Age 6 - a classic guitar, which I used as a "folk" guitar

Age 11 - an Epiphone acoustic guitar and a hollow body electric (off brand) - both bought by throwing newspapers.

age 11&3/4 - started on the trumpet, switched to tuba at age 12 as a dare and funny joke...continued to "seriously" persue the guitar...began studying the classic guitar

age 15 - realized that playing the electric bass was "classic guitar for dummies" and that it paid money...'was playing some Charlie Byrd - style "pop" classic guitar stuff in U.S.O. clubs (Vietnam era) for money (cool!)...but had to be taken there and picked up because I didn't have a driver's license (not cool)

age 17 - took my first tuba lesson.

age 18 - was hired to do my first "decent paying" (not just $50 or $75) tuba gig...a recording session for a children's christmas album (remember "albums"?)...paid about $800...HEY, this tuba thing might be OK...' a heckuva lot easier than classic guitar gigs.

age 20 - pretty much laid the guitar down and concentrated on the tuba...continued buying gasoline, clothes, and misc. by playing the electric bass and some tuba...more and more tuba and less and less bass

age 21 - bought a superb one-year-old Fender Jazz Bass CHEEP. ' still have it, ain't sellin' it.

age 44 - Where am I? Who am I? Why am I wearing waterproof undergarments?

Follow Ups: