Re: Re: Buying the Kid a Tuba - down to 2.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on September 04, 2001 at 21:26:13:

In Reply to: Re: Buying the Kid a Tuba - down to 2. posted by Graham W. on September 04, 2001 at 20:27:00:

I inquired about that horn and would have had it shipped to me for trial had I not found an excellent 5 valve CB-50 with a flight case at Baltimore Brass. Quite honestly I did not buy it because it was only 4 valves even with Matt telling me he built his personal horn as a 4 valve CC by choice. I just decided that I wanted a 5 valve and shouldn't settle for something that wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Although I can't PROVE it was used in Canadian Brass, it looks identical to the ones I have seen Chuck with in person and in photos. The horn at Dillon's is a pre-production prototype built for Chuck to use. He did not use a 5 valve horn due to the extra weight, and because he believed the 5th valve made the horn more stuffy (what I have been told). With all of the dancing and "show" stuff the CB does on stage, this is understandable. A great picture of Chuck with his 4 valve pre-production CB-50 can be found in/on the Canadian Brass Noel CD. Due to the missing 5th valve, the horn is built very differently than the production models and has several different tubing routes when compared to my early production CB-50. I believe that Chuck also had his horn built with a smaller bell, but who knows...

Thats what I know about it...

Follow Ups: