Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Peck on September 03, 2001 at 23:07:19:

In Reply to: "Blind Date" with a tuba posted by Bugalugs on September 03, 2001 at 01:07:26:

I bought my present horn, a Rudy 5/4 CC, sight unseen from a known professional in Chicago. About seven years ago I saw it for sale in the International Musician for $5000.00. I was a little concerned about sending a check to someone I didn't know, but I also knew that this type of horn did not crop up for sale every month. I also had never played a Rudy I didn't like so it seemed like a good bet.
I sent the check and a week later received the horn. It was very well packed but had a couple dents that weren't described by the seller. It was a great horn. The experience was a positive one.
Although that sale went without a hitch I would never make another major purchase without playing the horn first. Most legitimate sellers who have given an accurate description of the horn do not mind shipping it for a play test. A few will even split the cost with you.
I have sold many a horn on ebay but I would be VERY careful if I were making a major instrument purchase on line.

Follow Ups: