Re: Nirschl 4/4 and Cases w/ locks?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on September 01, 2001 at 12:47:08:

In Reply to: Nirschl 4/4 and Cases w/ locks? posted by Matt Goosen on September 01, 2001 at 11:57:01:

Matt,

I believe it's the WN-15 that you're talking about. In that case, that's the horn that I bought (well, the bank bought) last October. The case that I received was nothing to talk about, but I am unsure of their (Custom's) flight cases. This one certainly isn't flight worthy nor does it have locks.

As far as the horn goes...It's a good horn. But, check out Besson's line of instruments. They're selling an equivalent horn that has a more normal lead pipe and is about $3,000 less than the Nirschl. The only difference I was told of was the fixed lead pipe and the Besson insignia as opposed to "MEISTER WALTER NIRSCHL". Not only that, I was told that my horn was probably machine made,liek the Bessons, for it was polished silver (Nirschl's hand made horns are are unlaquered). This was what the authority (I won't give his name, but he is the only true tuba soloist out there...he plays a Besson 983...you get the picture) at the Educator's Conference in Chicago, IL told me last December. I would definitely look into this. Plus, if Besson does make this horn, you can possibly avoid working with Custom, which can make things easier. So regarding the horn itself, I like it. It's not easy to play. It's a big horn that uses a lot of air and it's hard to hit the partials in the upper/mid range (well, I find that). It's easier than a lot of horns, and it will certainly play bigger (depending on you, of course) than most so called "6/4" and "5/4" horns on the market. It plays soft quite easily. I have too many of my own personal issues with playing that lets me give you a complete, somewhat fair judgement. But I have had it for 10 months and can say it's a very good horn. It plays comparibly to the HB-2 and does cost less. That was my case when I was checking out horns, at least.

Check out a lot of horns, and take your sweet time. I'm sure you know this, but it doesn't hurt to reiterrate it either.

Also, make sure they didn't polish off the threads on the top of the first valve mechanism, it makes it a pain to put on the cap. If you have any more questions, be sure to email me.

Sincerely,
David Menard
menarddp(AT)jmu.edu
effiedave(AT)excite.com

Follow Ups: